Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reverb 10: Move it, move it, move it

For Dec. 20 -- Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)

Recurring themes, here: writing and exercise.

I want to write a book. I have known this for years now. I do not know what form it needs to take: fiction? Memoir? Essay?

I have many vague ideas for stories but have not taken time to sketch them out. I hear my critic saying, "It's all been done, Beth. Yours is nothing special. It's not anything anyone is going to want to read. It's been written already by all those writers you enjoy reading. Your stories aren't new and they're not that interesting. Hackneyed. Trite."

So I haven't started.

And last night I was reading in O Magazine (January issue) about exercise and why this coming year is the year that I must do this -- for my health. If I want to live longer and healthier, exercise is no longer an option. I am getting older; I would like to continue to get older. Ergo, I must exercise.

Find a yoga class and do at least 10 minutes a day on the treadmill. I WILL do that.

*************************

For Dec. 21 -- Future self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?

In five years I will be 68.

I do not want to be using a cane because my balance is so unsteady, or on insulin for diabetes (if there is a way I can prevent that, and I think there is). I do not want to be taking a boatload of medicine for ailments which I can help to prevent.

I already eat healthily for the most part, with occasional indulgences like ice cream or other sweets. But my overall diet is good.

But I fail miserably at the 'move it' portion that will help to keep me healthy.

"MOVE it, Beth. You WILL lose it if you don't.

If you just do that ONE thing in 2011, other things will fall into place for you."

Love,
Me

No comments: