Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reverb 10 - Things to get rid of in 2011

For Dec. 11 -- Things. What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

So I'm a little late getting this up. Party, chores, thinking thinking thinking....

1. There is too much clutter in drawers, desks, closets. This morning I noted at least three bottles of nearly-empty hand and body lotion near my sink. At the least I need to consolidate things. And I need to bite back the urge to save bits of old makeup, old hair product, clothing I no longer like or that has just a tiny hole but is perfectly useable, jeans that I never really liked the fit of, and paper. Paper. PAPER. Receipts. Old magazines that maybe I'll go through and cut out recipes. Cards and letters (some, anyway) that I've saved in a drawer. Product manuals to things long since discarded. Padded used envelopes that I could reuse (but seldom do).

Who knew I was such a hoarder? (I'm not, really, but I do find it hard to get rid of these bits of paper and clothing...I might use them someday! Not.)

2. Shoulda-coulda-woulda. I do not need to be second-guessing my choices and questioning my decisions. I take a lot of time and do a lot of research in making purchases or decisions. That needs to be my final answer.

3. Bad-for-me food. I've been pretty good about not buying foods high in carbs or sugars for some time, and you'll find lots of veggies and fruits and fat-free yogurt and milk in my fridge, and no-or-low sugar things in my pantry. I need to scold the gummy bears that jump into my grocery cart, though, and send them packing; ditto anything that isn't plain dark chocolate.

4. Critical, whiny or mean people. No more, no how. I simply do not choose to populate my life with these people any more, even to be polite.

5. Inactivity. I need to be intentional about getting some exercise every day, even if it's just getting down on the floor and doing some stretches. I am walking like a far more elderly person than I am.

6. Excuses. Step up to the plate. If I don't want to do something, I must say I don't want to do it -- without making excuses. If I haven't done something I agreed to do, then I must examine my reasons why I haven't -- and change something.

7. Denial. I suppose #6 is similar but it's not identical. Denial is just sticking your head in the sand and refusing to acknowledge something that is plain as daylight. I can't deny any longer that I need to lose about 20 lbs in order to make my health better, for instance. It's either that or accept the consequences -- and I don't like them.

8. Accidents and illnesses, insofar as they are preventable. After my January accident, I've been very careful to watch where I'm walking and not to put myself in situations or places where I'm unsteady (exercise will help that, I know). We take a bunch of supplements to help keep us well and healthy, and I wash-wash-wash my hands if I'm in a crowd. I go to the doctors and stay current on tests. I take appropriate meds and take care of my body.

9. Grief. No deaths this year, please. No life-shattering situations that involve mourning and depression. That goes for all of us.

10. Isolation. Some of that is indicative of my introverted nature -- yes, I am an introvert by nature but sometimes need to be an extrovert in activities. But I also tend to close ranks and stay to myself if things are stressful or upsetting instead of asking a friend for help or to talk. That is not particularly healthy because there is no other input except my own imagination and rationale -- and that can be overactive and irrational.

11. Self-deprecation. I would like to see myself more as others see me -- as an attractive, talented, wise woman -- rather than the not-quite-good-pretty-smart-personable-energetic-enough person I usually see in my mirror. I feel quite ordinary and adequate in most things. I'd like to feel extraordinary more often.

If I re-read -- even post on my bulletin board -- this list somewhere where I can see it every day, that will help manifest it. It takes reminding of what I don't like to change to something I can like, that is better for me in this life. I will be happier with myself and my home, happier with my health and my body, if I can remember this.

1 comment:

Sheri Del Core said...

Somehow in my quest for validation on getting rid of our microwave brought me to your site! Love #4 and #5 especially. Thanks for the inspiration.