Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Scintilla Project - Day 8

Another day missed -- and posted late. Oh well. Number 1, here we go.

1. What are your simplest pleasures? Go beyond description and into showing the experience of each indulgence.

2. Who was your childhood best friend? Describe them--what brought you together, what made you love them. Are you still friends today?

**************
* Sliding into a bed made with fresh clean sheets, especially the organic cotton ones which soften more every time you wash them. (I love my flannels, however, and they run a close second.) But the lovely scent and feel of the clean linens -- which lasts just one night -- always makes me feel indulgent and pampered and instantly relaxed. Hotel linens don't do it for me. It's the ones at home, on my own bed.

* The first sip of a cup of Earl Grey tea, hot and steaming, is immensely satisfying. I drink tea every day -- usually a breakfast tea or Wulong or mint -- but the Earl Grey with its fragrant bergamot makes me feel a bit as though I'm sitting in an English tearoom. Bring on the crumpets and clotted cream, please.

* Watching a favorite television program in our darkened living room on a wintery evening with the woodstove glowing warmly and the kitties sleeping on their tuffets in front of it: I'm wrapped in either the Joseph's coat afghan my mother crocheted so long ago or in a lighter weight one given to me by a friend, and sitting in my favorite leather chair with my slipper-clad feet on the matching ottoman. My honey sits next to me, feet up, in his well-worn leather recliner. The angel figures on the plant shelf high above the woodstove are backlit silhouettes in a field of starry minilights, and I feel very peaceful, very lucky, warm, and well-loved.

* Coming into the kitchen to fix breakfast and finding that my honey has emptied the dishwasher and washed up any remains of a night-before snack never fails to make me smile. He does it every day, every time the dishwasher is run, but it still makes me feel loved and appreciated.

As the song says, "These are a few of my favorite things..."

No comments: